Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Parole granted! Prison Workout ends!!

I added a new survey to the right column:  What's your post-Prison plan? Please vote. 

Today (Tuesday) is technically the last day of the Prison Workout. I rounded out the week with structured WOs, but only to buy me some time for developing what's next. Thanks for everyone's input!  I'm so glad I could gather a few functional fitness disciples along the way.  Now I hope you'll all stick around for the next stage: adding a kettlebell or dumbbell. For those of you who are still looking for the whole PWO Schedule, click here.

For the next stage of the program I am not going to stick to a rigid schedule like I did for the Prison Workout. Rather, 20-30 daily workouts will be developed...including not only the fundamental 17 bodyweight exercises for the PWO, but also a dozen KB movements.  Some of the KB movements are complex. Take the time to learn and practice them before the mental breakdowns of high-intensity training.  Stay tuned for a bunch of postings of kettlebell videos this week. I have a few older ones already posted under the Kettlebelling label, so get learning!!

Basically, the KB program should be done beginning with WO#1 and continuing upwards through the numbers, at your own pace.  Maybe you can do 5 WOs in a week, or maybe only 3 WOs.  I'm gonna try to keep up with a 3/1/2/1 plan for a few more weeks. It seemed to work out good for me (resting on Thursdays and Sundays). So if you want that extra camaraderie, do 5 per week with me (and hopefully the guys in my unit).

The KB program will be available on an Excel worksheet. I'll try to figure out how to post it online. In the meantime, get your hands on a KB (or a single dumbbell). I recommend a 35lb for men and a 20-25lb for women.  Call or email me if you need help with getting one. Also, read this old post about Kettlebelling basics.

Side note: I enter into this next stage anxiously. My first experience with a KB was in my work gym about 3 years ago. After a coworker showed me a single KB circuit, I was hooked. I did nothing but KB and bodyweight stuff for 12 weeks!  I felt stronger and fitter than ever. This will be like a return to that epiphanic period.  

1 comment:

Louis Hayes said...

I added 12 new videos to the right column. Eleven are KB movements, and one is the HK2E (a core exercise using a pullup station).

If I come along any new ideas during the PWO2 development, I will surely post videos.