We are heading up a Police Week Memorial Workout. This event honors officers, deputies, agents, and members of law enforcement agencies who have been killed in the line of duty. This functional fitness workout is an opportunity to remember those who sacrificed their lives in the name of justice. I will be doing the workout on Police Memorial Day, Friday, May 15th, 2009, at CrossFit DuPage, between 1600-1900hrs. All are welcomed to attend!! If that time is not good, Nate at CF DuPage welcomes participants to come in during regular gym hours that week.
- Workout is: 75 repetitions of moving 75 pounds from the floor to overhead. As fast as possible.
- Score: The time it takes to complete all 75 repetitions.
- Equipment: Participants can use a barbell, single dumbbell, kettlebell, ammo can, sandbag, or whatever weighs 75 pounds.
- Rules: The weight goes from touching the floor to locked-out overhead for each repetition. Each repetition must be lowered under control to the ground. Use one or two hands to raise and lower the weight. Rest as needed. Time stops when the 75th repetition is lowered to the ground.
- Movement Options: Clean and Press, Clean and Jerk, Snatch, or whatever technique fits the above rules.
- Modifications: The prescribed weight is 75 pounds. Scale the weight down if necessary, based on your abilities. The prescribed female weight is 50 pounds. Be sure to include your weight used in your results.
Participants are asked to perform this workout in memory of a specific downed officer. Those of you who do not know a fallen officer can find one at the Officer Down Memorial Page. While I recommend doing this among friends, I trust we can each do this "on our honor." Participants who cannot make it to the gym are encouraged to complete it sometime during Police Week (May 10th-16th) and send me the results. Results can be posted here in comments, or emailed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org Each participant should record:
- Participant's name, age (optional), agency (if applicable)
- Participant's time, and choice of weight (BB, DB, KB, other)
- Honored officer's name, agency, and End of Watch (EOW)
NOTE: The workout is based on the CrossFit Heroes workout RANDY. It was named after Randal Simmons of LAPD SWAT, who was murdered in February 2008. Read about Randy here on the Officer Down Memorial Page.
Edit on 05-05-09 to announce the date/location of the event. LH