Tuesday, June 14, 2011

RESULTS: 4th Annual "MURPH for Miller" 2011



I finally completed a MURPH with my SWAT vest!

The 4th Annual MURPH for Miller was a huge success at CrossFit TriCities. There were 104 participants, raising $2900 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Not to mention, we celebrated the life of friend Rob Miller, Medal of Honor recipient.

As a reminder, the grueling MURPH CrossFit workout is:
  • Run 1 mile.
  • Do 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 air squats.
  • Run 1 mile.
  • Partition the pullups, pushups, and air squats as needed.
  • Start and finish with a mile run.
I'll spare you the long story about the first time I heard of this workout. I'll simply tell you it involved Brian M and Bobby K. I slowly moved up in fitness abilities to complete my first bodyweight-only MURPH in under one hour. That was 4 years ago. Over the years, my times continued to drop. So this year, I made a simple promise to myself -- do it while wearing my heavy body armor. My time was obviously much slower with the added weight -- 1:17:33. Yup, over an hour. But I did it. My strategy was 33 rounds of 3 pullups, 6 pushups, and 9 air squats (plus the handful of leftover reps). I stuck to the plan, and wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over again.

I have more persistence than fitness....

There were quite a few military and law enforcement participants this year in the "Body Armor" category. Great job everyone! Thanks for all the encouragement and cheering.