Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sheila: Congrats on IronMan #11

Our friend and mentor Sheila P from our pool finished her eleventh IronMan (or is it IronWoman?) race on Sun, July 20th, 2008, in Lake Placid, NY. The Ford IronMan USA Lake Placid is already sold out for 2009, so I guess that says something about how popular it is!! For those of you who don't speak Triathlonese, an IronMan is 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and 26.2 miles of running....YES all in the same day!!

Sheila has been extremely helpful in teaching us newbies about swimming. She is so knowledgeable about not only swimming, but short and long-course triathloning, injury prevention/rehab, and maybe even a bit about functional fitness (right Sheila?). After talking with her, she's definitely an anomaly of complete and practical fitness among endurance athletes. Here's a note she sent us: I am all over Air Squats--I do these things called "Dirty 30's" that effectively are air squats but with some hip motion thrown in, so doing 50 air squats was no big deal. I am reading your blog and trying to learn and incorporate some more functional stuff into my strength routine. Plus I need to prove that I am more than just an endurance nut!!! Looks like someone took my knock on endurance athletes a bit too personally ;) haha. Now let's see if we can get her to do ball slams or 24" box jumps!

Sheila, AKA Crackhead, keeps a website called Mind (and Body) of Iron. It's interesting to say the least...go see for yourself. She memorialized her latest IronMan race with some detailed storytelling. Here are quick links to two such journal entries:

Initial race report
race photos

Yeah I know her race was like 2 weeks ago!! I was waiting to see if I could pirate photos from her site for the TTG...like the one above of her finishing up the swim portion. Congratulations, Sheila! What an accomplishment, even if you've already done it TEN previous times!!!

No comments: