Friday, May 8, 2009

I can't do it.

You can tell a lot from one's choice of words.  For example, here are some phrases that might seem like the same answer. But what they really do is give a glimpse into the attitude of s/he who spoke them. They all say, "no," but have a wide spectrum of REAL meaning.
  • "No way."
  • "I can't do it."
  • "I can't do it yet."
  • "I'm getting there."
  • "I'll do it."
I look back at my days of struggling at a single pullup.  I would simply laugh at something as daunting as a MUPRH workout (containing 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 air squats). It wasn't even a remote consideration to me! That was 99 more pullup repetitions than I could do at the time. That was about 3 years ago. Now I approach workouts with 50, 60, or even 100 pullups with very little anxiety.  But my progress was not made overnight.  I programmed in MANY MANY pullup variations:  dead hangs, counter-balance machine, jumping, rubberband assist, weighted, and inverted rows.  

And most importantly, I went in with a goal: to complete a MURPH workout as prescribed. That goal kept me on track...forcing me to stick with my extra programming of pullups.  With each session, I imagined myself getting closer and closer to that goal.

Goals are what drives training to a new level. By publicizing your objectives, it forces you to actually meet them head-on.  So, what are your goals?

The above photo is from a friend of mine. The boy has a reassuring expression that simply says, "Not yet." Sounds like something his dad might say.  This child's dad has turned functional fitness into not only a part-time business, but his life.  He swears by it. And by hearing his tales of success, I can't imagine him slowing any time soon!

No comments: