Monday, February 1, 2010

READ: Abdominal Time Waster

I recommend reading the below article about abdominal training.



Here is the start of the article...

I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but it needs to be said. Every day at the gym, I watch people spend anywhere from 10–30 minutes on their upper abs, lower abs, and sides. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with that statement? Ten to thirty minutes is a waste of time to spend on abs. In addition, there isn’t any such thing as “upper abs” and “lower abs.” You have a left side and a right side of your abdominals, not upper and lower.

When you do leg lifts or leg raises, you’re only working your hip flexor muscles. It feels like your abs, but that’s only because they’re forced couples, meaning they work together to produce movement. When you do regular crunches, the entire abdomen works. Doing any more than 10–15 reps on any abdominal exercise is a waste because your abs will give out. Then you’re just using your hip flexors....

Click here for the link to read the rest of the article.

I quickly learned that popular ab exercises don't yield results nearly as well as these whole-body, multi-joint movements. Turkish GetUps, SandBag GetUps, and sledgehammer strikes might be the absolute best core blasters known to man. If you do them, you know what I mean. If you don't do them, try them!!


2 comments:

J Caruso said...

I wish I read this article last week! I pulled a hip flexor and had no idea how it happened. I'm still trying to recover. I guess it's time for me to learn how to do some turkish get ups.

Schlik said...

Lou,

Hanging knees to elbow and full squats with resistance over your shoulders are other great exercises.

schlik